Aldenham is approached through a magnificent ironwork gate screen. The ornate acanthus scroll of its overthrow are crowned by the Acton family crest.
The Acton family first acquired the manor in 1465 and the present house was built in 1691, providing a home for many of the most interesting figures in English history. King Charles sought refuge in the strongly Royalist household and indeed left his coat behind.
The Acton family, including the prime minister of the Two Scillies and the famous historian, Lord Acton, used the house less and less until in 1959 it was acquired by the family of the present owners and almost certainly saved from total decline.
The atmosphere and sense of history are enhanced as Aldenham today is a much loved family house. It is not open to the public and therefore offers the peace and exclusivity so sought after by many.